Monday, November 8, 2010

Gift Card Holder TUTORIAL


There has been some interest in my gift card holder, and I have had a few requests for directions. I have decided to put together a quick tutorial to show you how to make it! I hope this is clear enough, but of course feel free to ask me anything!

1. Cut a 10" x 4.25" piece of cardstock or patterned paper. I used cardstock today, and you can see that I went ahead and stamped my images from Cupcake Numbers in Pacific Point (SU), Terra Cotta Tile (PTI), and Simply Chartreuse (PTI). You'll notice that I forgot to stamp the rust and green colors at this point. Ha.

Go ahead and score on the 10" side at 2 7/8", 5", and 7 1/8". If you are stamping on cardstock, you may want to stamp first so that you aren't stamping over score lines.


2. Take that middle score line (at 5"), and run the cutting blade over it to cut an opening for the gift card to slide into. Leave about 1/4" on both sides, but be sure not to cut all the way to the ends. I like to slide the gift card in for a moment at this point, just to be sure it will fit in my slot.


3. Next you will want to die cut or punch (if you have a punch strong enough to get through the two layers) a circle (or scallop...whatever you like!) in the middle of the gift card slot. I chose to use my Big Shot to die cut a PTI circle die.

And with the circle....Hope you can tell. ;)




4. Fold a valley fold with your printed (or stamped) side out, as shown. The larger rectangle areas on the top and bottom will be the outside (front and back) of your holder. Use a bone folder to crease the folds very well.



5. Glue the folded middle (where the gift card will slide in) together. Be sure to only adhere the VERY edges of the sides and bottom together so that there is ample room for the gift card to slide in. If you don't have time to wait, or just don't WANT to wait (*wink*), use a thin Super Sticky (red) tape to adhere.

Here is what the folded and creased gift card holder should look like:





6. Embellish as desired! For this gift card holder, I simply tied some black twill around the middle and adhered a couple of coordinating buttons to the center of the bow!

If you make one of these, I'd LOVE to see it! Please share! These are really quite simple to make, and I think there are LOTS of options!!

5 comments:

Karen B. said...

Thanks for the tutorial Mandy, I'm bookmarking now since I plan to make gift cards my ONLY gifts this year!

Lorie said...

I love it...great tutorial Mandy!

Jennie said...

Super cute Mandy and GREAT tutorial!!!

farmhouse-story said...

great tutorial, mandy:) and just in time for xmas!

Zafran ali said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.